The re-awakening of this beautiful farm is a continuous process, with the 200 year-old Manor House at its centre – a peaceful haven surrounded by vineyards, trees, rolling lawns and rose gardens.
The surrounding Langeberg mountains form a beautiful backdrop of stone cathedrals and rocky peaks, shaped by wind and rain over many centuries.
The farm is covered with aromatic fynbos, proteas and renosterveld, which in times gone by supported a perfect harmony of birds, fish, reptiles and mammals. This included black rhino, leopard and lion, which with quaggas roamed the open spaces along with numerous antelope, including tiny steenbok, springbok, grysbok, duiker and eland.
Nomadic people shared this paradise too. Their legacy of empty caves and forgotten hand tools bear testimony to their hunting expeditions. The fresh mountain streams and abundant food provided a haven for all.
In the 1790’s the farm Orange Grove, was leased to a Messrs J.H Cloete and P.J du Plessis.
More than 50 years later, the nearby town of Robertson was founded. Orange Grove Manor House is today the oldest house in the area and dates back to 1812.
The flour mill at the Old Mill house was turned by the passing mountain stream and supplied wheat flour to the nearby farmers and transport riders. Later, with the collapse of the ostrich feather trade, vines were introduced to the area and a storeroom with underground wine tanks was built on the farm to supply wine to KWV.
Today the farm stretches over an area of 830 hectares with a further 2400 hectares of pristine mountain catchment area with abundant streams, waterfalls, rock pools and magnificent flora.